Spicy Sweet Potato And Corn Soup
A warming treat on a chilly evening, this soup will have you warmed through and feeling satisfied without heaviness.
You’ll find it delicious and nutritious because:
Sweet potatoes are not only rich in fibre (which is fabulous for supporting a healthy digestive system and aiding weight management), they are also loaded with beneficial antioxidants.
Sweet potatoes are especially high in beta-carotene, which is the pigment responsible for their orange flesh. Beta carotene is a powerful antioxidant that can help promote healthy vision, improve respiratory health and your skin.
Additionally they are also high in vitamin A which helps stimulate the production of immune cells that fight off disease and infection.
1 tbsp olive oil
100g prosciutto or bacon rashers, cut into strips
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp turmeric powder
400g can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 litre natural vegetable or chicken stock
200ml coconut milk
750g sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
2 cups corn kernels (I prefer frozen or fresh from cob)
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large pan over medium heat. Cook bacon or prosciutto until golden or starting to go crispy, then drain on paper towel.
- Heat remaining olive oil in the pan, then add onion, garlic, celery and cook, stirring, over a medium heat until softened but not browned.
- Add spices and cook for approximately 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add chickpeas and sweet potato, bring to boil and then simmer simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until sweet potato is tender
- Add coconut milk, corn and half the bacon or prosciutto and then simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- If happy with “chowder” consistency ladle into bowls and serve topped with sprinkle of remaining crispy prosciutto strips.
- If you prefer a smoother soup, blend at conclusion of cooking and then serve.
Additional serving suggestion:
- Add a dollop of Greek yoghurt or sour cream, roughly cut parsley and the crispy prosciutto strips to further jazz up your soup.